Wednesday, October 04, 2006

More sad news from The Santa Barbara News-Press

Two more staffers have resigned. Craig Smith's blog had a copy of Starshine's resignation letter posted, and Blogabarbara has posted a note from Al Bonowitz here:Click

We are very sad about this news. Starshine was a wonderful columnist and tremendous asset to the News-Press. We met her many years ago now, before the birth of her two sons, even! She harkened from the era of "The Brat Pack" generation of kids, then, and she was a fresh wind blowing into a pretty staid place.

Now, she has matured...not just as a woman, but also as a writer. Our guess is that you will not be seeing the last of her in print anytime soon. She has her own web page -- www.roshell.com -- Click and go!with a fab leopard motif!

I think they just lost...one of the best...oooof! That's all we can say. They just lost a big sparkler in Starshine. But she isn't the only one by far. So many have left since 2000 it's unreal almost. One by one they have scattered to the winds. How can one person be responsible for so much destruction and pain. The question is why? Why would anyone destroy a newspaper one person at a time?

Our hat is off to those who have chosen to leave, but also those who have chosen to stay as well. It must be exceedingly difficult to work there now, under the current regime.

The whole quagmire bears looking into by a larger authority. And we expect it shall be. In the meantime, you've got Starshine's web page to keep you company!

Here is a reprint of Starshine's letter of resignation:

(One interesting bit of trivia is that Yolanda Apodaca started at the News-Press as a switchboard operator. And now she is running editorial? Hmmm...it just gets curiouser and curiouser by the moment, doesn't it?)


TO: Yolanda Apodaca
CC: Scott Steepleton

October 3, 2006

I hereby resign from the News-Press. And since you no longer control what I say and how I say it, I'm going to tell you why.

For 11 years, I have been proud to work for this company. I was honored to have managers who were smarter than me, and had something to teach me. They weren't bullies. They weren't liars. And remarkably, they were able to manage our newsroom by employing scruples rather than lawyers.

But they're all gone now, and the only thing our current leaders have been able to demonstrate is the heartbreaking mess that ensues when ambition far exceeds talent, and hubris trumps wisdom.

At a good newspaper, as ours was, truth is held in higher esteem than power. It makes me sick to see Wendy McCaw topple that hierarchy here, and to watch you both help her do it.

While I will desperately miss the camaraderie of my noble colleagues and the relationships I developed with countless readers, I am grateful for one thing. That when I look in the mirror, I won't see what you do.

Sincerely,

Starshine Roshell
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?